Coca-Cola Amatil needed to capture all their matters in one legal workspace
Xakia brought ‘instant relief’ to the Australian in-house legal team at Coca-Cola Amatil. Our legal matter management software was able to capture the team’s ‘full universe of matters’ for accurate and efficient reporting.
- Timely, accurate and actionable reports
- Eliminated paper forms and manual entry
“Manual reporting was a ridiculous way to do things…The team was happy to move to Xakia straight away, it was a no-brainer.”
Deputy General Counsel
About Coca-Cola Amatil
As one of the largest bottlers and distributors of beverages in the Asia Pacific, Coca-Cola Amatil employs more than 14,000 people and serves more than 270 million consumers. Coca-Cola Amatil distributes some of the world’s most loved beverage brands, including Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite, Powerade, Monster, Jim Beam, Canadian Club and Maker’s Mark.
In Australia, Coca-Cola Amatil’s Legal team handles the legal needs for three business units with operations in Australia, Fiji and Samoa, as well as corporate functions such as Strategy, Insurance, Treasury and Risk.
The Australian legal team’s major struggle was with reporting, according to its Deputy Group General Counsel in 2019. It relied on a manual process that required lawyers to fill out paper forms, which an administrative staff member later compiled into an Excel spreadsheet on a monthly basis.
Without a central repository for matters or a standardized way of classifying their importance, the Group General Counsel said, the team’s view of its own activity was likely incomplete, or worse, inaccurate.
The team needed a way to capture its “full universe of matters.” This would ensure accuracy in reporting to business units and company leadership and save time in manual reporting and follow-up discussions.
Coca-Cola Amatil wanted a legal technology solution that would deliver automated, real-time reporting – and eliminate paper forms and manual entry. When Xakia was integrated into the team’s existing workflow, there was instant relief.
“Everyone on the Australian Legal Team absolutely recognized that [manual reporting] was a ridiculous way to do things in this day and age. The team was happy to move to Xakia straight away, it was a no-brainer.”
By having access to real-time legal data analytics, the legal department can more effectively match its priorities to the strategic goals of the company.
Deputy General Counsel
After implementing Xakia, the team’s reporting is more timely, accurate, and actionable:
- The legal department at Coca Cola Amatil has eliminated lag times in their reports. The old manual method would sometimes be backlogged by up to two months. Now, “You can look at Xakia for matters on any particular day, and you know it’s going to be accurate at that point in time.”
- The reports are complete and reliable. This eliminates a considerable amount of stress, “Everyone understands what’s getting reported on is the full universe of issues, and ultimately that goes to your confidence as a general counsel giving information to a CEO. Now, when we provide reports to our board or managing directors, I have a lot more confidence that it’s holistic and systematic than previously.”
- The legal department uses data to improve its operations. Before Xakia, they knew “intuitively” that trademarks consumed a lot of time, but it was hard to quantify: Simply looking at the trademark register, for example, would not show the numerous inquiries the in-house legal team handled for marks that ultimately weren’t registered. After reviewing legal matter data in Xakia, the need for more structured trademark management was identified. That work is now allocated to a part-time in-house specialist, which frees up the rest of the team to handle other projects.
"By having access to real-time legal data analytics, the legal department can more effectively match its priorities to the strategic goals of the company. If the business is saying ‘we’re focused on A, and we’re not actually that focused on B,’ but [Legal] is doing a lot of work for B, we can say, if that’s the business priority, we’re going to deprioritize work for B.”
In-house legal data analytics for beginners
Download the complete guide to legal data analytics. Our eBook aims to make legal data analytics accessible for legal departments of all sizes and lawyers of all backgrounds. Download now to get started.